Thursday, January 10, 2013

New Year - New Technique!

Hi Everyone!

Today's post is for my Just A Scrappin' Design Team Challenge 'New Year - New Technique'!  The challenge is to challenge yourself to use a new to you technique!  I purchased the We Are Memory Keepers Sew Easy but hadn't been brave enough to tackle it yet so what better challenge to take you out of your comfort zone?!?!  I'm so glad that I used the Sew Easy as I found out it is So Easy!!  I cut the pieces for the tree & tree house using my Silhouette Cameo and an image from the Silhouette Studio Store by Samantha Walker Designs.  Once I had the pieces cut out I used the 'Scallop' sew easy to pierce the pattern around the inside edge of my tree then did the running back stitch, easiest stitch ever!, to sew in the pattern.  I think it added great texture to my tree to make it really stand out!  I hope you will challenge yourself to try a new-to-you technique and then enter the challenge at the Just A Scrappin' Blog!

Once I had my design cut I used the Sew Easy Scallop to pierce the holes around the edge of my tree shape.  It's important that you have their mat under your paper to prevent piercing things you don't want pierced :)


Once the holes are pierced cut a piece of embroidery floss, I use 36" long pieces at a time (I do this so that the thread doesn't become to entangled or twisted as you can't tug and pull at a knot on paper as you can on cloth), tape the end of the floss to the back of your paper then beginning the running back stitch.

I used two lengths of 36" on my project so when you come to the end of one piece of embroidery floss simply tape down the tail and begin another as above.

I think it added a very nice texture to my tree :)


And here is my finished layout about the many homes we have lived in!


Thanks for stopping by my blog today!  I hope you enjoyed this challenge and don't forget to go try a new technique and enter the fun challenge at http://www.just-a-scrappin.blogspot.ca/

Have a SCRAPtastic day!

Blessings,
Melitta

Canadian Paper Shaper Blog