Monday, July 5, 2010

My Dreams Are Coming True!

My husband Greg and I, celebrating our 25th Anniversary in 2009



Grandma Archibald & my mom Beverley Archibald








I'm so excited to see the dream of being able to make known the heART’s work of my mom’s crocheting and knitting and my work with paper crafting finally coming to fruition!

My mom, Beverley, is a remarkable woman who at the age of 40 suffered several small and a massive stroke, which left her unable to talk and in a wheelchair which doctors thought she would never leave. However, the doctors did not know the will my mom had to come back from that dark place, and a great deal of her recovery is credited to her desire to craft. Our family brought her knitting needles, crochet hooks, a ton of wool, thread and patterns to her hospital bed and she battled back to an almost complete recovery, one stitch at a time. Today my mom is 70 years old and the only indication of her past heath issues are a brace on her right leg and a cane. However, our guest bedroom and storage room are bursting at the seams with knitted and crocheted beautiful works of heart.

I am 45 years old and was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia 6 years ago. Due to the rapid onset, constant pain and medications with horrible side effects I was forced to retire from my bookkeeping business and find something to fill my empty days. While I too crochet and knit, it is just not at the quality level to equal my mom’s, so I took up paper crafting. My time at crafting is limited and reliant upon how painful my hands and body are, but when I am blessed with a moderate pain day I love to get my hands on some paper. I set goals for myself to learn new techniques, to share them both in person & with a blog, and to have my ‘hearts work’ published. I am proud to say that I have learned so many techniques (and I am still learning every day), I am sharing them with fellow crafters at their homes and at the local scrapbook store, and as of the Fall Issue of Canadian Scrapbooker I will have achieved the goal of being published in a scrapbooking magazine. With this post I am now achieving the goal of sharing with people through a blog!

Our website,
www.handcrafterz.com , is going to be the showcase of my mom’s and my artistic works of heART. I hope you will stop by the site as it starts to grow and blossom, I would love to have your input. We will also be offering some of Mom's works for purchase through http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandCrafterz

Thank you so much for stopping by and please check back often for ideas, how-to’s, videos and sometimes just chatter. Also, please feel free to contact me at melitta@handcrafterz.com

On behalf of my mom Bev and myself thank you for stopping by.

Blessings,
Bev & Melitta